Agricultural Education and Leadership, MS – Online
As a working professional in agriculture, extension education, communications, or leadership it may seem impossible to continue graduate study on campus. The OSU Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Leadership has designed a degree program that enables working professionals to achieve an Agricultural Education and Leadership Master of Science degree online.
- Courses are delivered via Desire 2 Learn or Moodle
- Courses are completely asynchronous, requiring no visits to campus
The online master's degree program in agricultural education and leadership, with its multiple options, provides a flexible program, which can be tailored to meet each student's unique situation. In addition to the wide variety of professional courses in agricultural education and leadership, offerings are also available from all academic departments in the Ferguson College of Agriculture. Specialization areas such as educational administration, supervision, counseling, community education, occupational education, adult education, and career education are also available through cooperation with the College of Education and Human Sciences.
Graduate students work closely with a graduate advisory committee consisting of three faculty members who provide guidance and mentoring. Students, in consultation with their graduate committee, develop an individual plan of study leading to the graduate degree. A plan of study must be filed before completion of 17 credit hours.
The Agricultural Education and Leadership Master of Science is designed primarily for students interested in research. The program develops the students' theoretical and research foundation for further graduate studies in addition to further knowledge and skills in agriculture and education. Two options are available in the Master of Science degree program.
This program requires 30 approved credit hours of coursework including a six-credit-hour formal thesis. The thesis is a report of scholarly research conducted by the student. The scope of the study will normally be of state or national interest, and the thesis will include an in-depth analysis of the findings.
Formal Report Option
The program requires 32 approved credit hours of coursework including a two-credit-hour formal report. Although the formal report is the result of original research, the literature review or statistical analysis may lack the depth required of a thesis.
Admission requirements for the online master's degree program in agricultural education and leadership include:
- A bachelor's degree in an appropriate field such as agricultural education, agricultural communications, or an agriculturally related area from an accredited university;
- An acceptable grade point average in undergraduate studies (a minimum GPA of 2.80 or 3.0 in the last 30 hours for unqualified admission);
- Recommendations from two people knowledgeable of the applicant's professional qualifications. Recommendation letters cannot come from a current faculty member of the OSU Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Leadership.
- A statement of purpose for pursuing the master's degree.
- No minimum score required on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The GRE is not required for applicants with a GPA of 3.25 or above in their undergraduate degree program (school code 6546, department code 3908).
To apply for the online master's degree program in agricultural education and leadership complete the following:
- Submit an application for admission to the OSU Graduate College.
- Your application will be referred to the department by the Graduate College. After it is reviewed by the Agricultural Education work group, you will receive notification of its decision from the Graduate College. Applications for admission are reviewed continuously.
- Submit a statement of purpose, three letters of professional recommendation, and GRE scores to the Graduate Coordinator, OSU Department of Agricultural Education, Communications and Leadership, 448 Agricultural Hall, Stillwater, OK 74078-6031.
Oklahoma State University offers an affordable single rate for graduate students in
online degree and certificate programs.
Cost details for in-state, online graduate students
Cost details for out-of-state online graduate students