Reading and Literacy, MS — Online
This 100-percent online program is delivered through Canvas, OSU’s online learning platform. The program offers a two-year, accelerated cohort-style completion sequence in which students take two courses per semester. Completion pace can be modified as needed. The innovative and interactive online format utilizes synchronous video conferencing to form strong virtual communities connecting networks of teachers across the state and beyond.
In this program, you will learn to:
- Develop research-based strategies for reading, writing and content-area literacy
- Administer and analyze a variety of literacy assessments
- Use data to personalize instruction
- Teach with authentic literature for children through young adult
- Coach and facilitate sustained campus/district professional development
- Evaluate literacy programs and materials
- Implement relevant and transformative technology applications
- Learn to become a literacy leader and advocate
You will complete two school-based, reading practicums supporting elementary/middle school students through one-on-one and small-group tutoring, preparing you with a strong foundation in the reciprocal process of assessment and instruction.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Students are encouraged to submit application materials at least six weeks prior to the start of the semester.
To apply to the Teaching, Learning and Leadership - option in Reading and Literacy, MS program, complete the following:
- Graduate College application
- Transcripts from all previously attended institutions (3.0 minimum undergraduate GPA required)
- Current resume/vita
- Statement of reading/literacy philosophy (500-700 words)
- Personal goal statement (500 words)
Students enrolled in the Reading and Literacy master's program will complete 36 credit hours during the course of their studies. Cost estimates below are calculated based on 2020-2021 rates. Additional cost details and OSU’s tuition and fee estimator are available on the Bursar website.
|Total cost per credit hour||432.20||561.75|
|Total cost per 3-credit hour course||1,296.60||1,685.25|
|Total program cost based on 36 hours||15,559.20||20,223.00|
* This is only an estimate of cost, based on currently approved 2020-2021 rates. Cost estimates do not include textbooks, exams, or course expenses, nor do they factor in individual transfer credits or scholarship information. Cost will vary if not enrolled in a fully online degree program. Active-duty military may qualify for resident tuition rate. Tuition and fees are subject to change at any time without prior notice. Full disclaimer
The federal TEACH Grant Program may provide up to $4,000 a year to aid students seeking degrees in high-needs fields and who meet specific eligibility requirements. Students must sign an Agreement to Serve and acknowledge that if the terms are not fulfilled, the grant will be converted to a loan that must be repaid.
Members of a Native American Tribe can apply for the Teach to Reach grant-based program provided by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Indian Education.